Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Elimination Communication (aka peeing in the sink)

I woke up at 4:00 this morning deciding that I was going to take the first steps toward diaper-free living. Our landlord told us about the new rage amongst touchy-feelie parents called Elimination Communication, or EC for short. It is based on what those in some countries still do to this day and we in the "developed" countries stopped some time ago, which is be in touch with your child enough that you know when it has to pee or poo and hold the child over the container where these things go (wikipedia entry about EC here, more serious website here). I was intrigued when told about it and was motivated by Emmett's desire to urinate every time he is uncovered, so at 4:00 I gave it a go while Andrea got ready for a feeding.

The method was pretty simple: hold him with his back to my stomach aimed where I am hoping the pee will go and make a 'sssss' sound to encourage (example technique, left). Right off he did it---hooray...one diaper saved. I have tried with subsequent pees and am batting about 4.5-for-7 with the .5 coming from the fact that half went in the sink (what I am using now---all future guests please know that I am cleaning the sink afterward) and after I thought he was done half went all over the floor.

I am going to have to read up some more on how to do the poo part (I know the trigger sound can be a grunt, but know little else). It is a little embarrassing how excited I am about this.

1 comment:

kathryn said...

oh gosh, how intriguing. you'll have to let us know how this goes.