Thursday, March 13, 2008

Ratios

While waiting for our prescription yesterday, Andrea, Emmett and I went into Gap Kids (aka the best place in town to buy children's clothes handmade by real child laborers---we didn't buy anything). In the store they had a sign that listed the length of baby's feet with age, and I was surprised to see that they said that a 18 month-old child has feet that are about 5" long, which is about 1/2 the length of my foot, whereas the rest of an 18 month-old is much less than half my size. So, I thought I would look at the fraction of a Damon Emmett is currently:
  • Height: Emmett 20", or about 27% of me
  • Weight: Emmett 7 lb 9 oz, or about 4% of me
  • Head circumference: Emmett 13.8", or about 59% of me
  • Foot length: Emmett 3.1", or about 31% of me
  • Hand length: Emmett 2", or about 27% of me
It is completely fascinating to me that there is such variation in how much growth he will undergo to make it to adulthood for his different parts. I guess, though, the only things that are aberrant are a baby's large head and its low weight. The rest of a baby is pretty much a quarter-sized adult. That is nuts.

4 comments:

andipie said...

dr. todd,
you are a nerd. but that i one reason i love you. you and your dangerous mind.

Anonymous said...

What about a ratio of how long Damon requires to complete a simple integration problem in calculus versus how long Emmett will require?

Jefe

cb said...

Is the foot length calculation with your toes pressed out straight or in their normal, please hammer don't hurt em, position? There's a big difference between the two so this could significantly skew your results.

And please be sure to post his body temperature stats in Kelvin.

Damo said...

Oh, I knew some comment was coming about the hammer toes as soon as I started this post. So, for full disclosure, my toes were in their natural curled position while Emmett's were in his naturally straightened (hopefully he doesn't get the curly toes, but will have to check with my mom to see when the hammer toes started up).