Thursday, March 27, 2008

Registered with Uncle Sam

Emmett is official. His social security card showed up in the mail, so Emmett is now numberfied---although he is not allowed to sign the card until he turns 18 unless he gets a job before then. This reminds me about something I didn't mention in the blog earlier: when doing the whole birth certificate thing on day 2 the woman asked if we wanted to get a social security card at the same time. I was in a little bit of a wise-cracking mood and said something along the lines of "of course...he has to start earning his way soon, right?" to which the woman responded by telling us that there have been a number of times that temporary social security cards have had to be faxed to newborn parents (keep in mind we got Emmett's by his third-week anniversary of birth) as they were "working" as newborn models for places like Gap Kids or what-have-you. So, yes, Emmett could be supporting us already and is hence already a slacker that just sleeps and eats. I was wondering just now, though, what is to be done about a signature on the social security card if a baby starts working, but then remembered that I have never signed mine. I guess a working baby is a law-breaking non-signer, just like me.

No comments: