Monday, March 17, 2008

Things I have learned, Vol. I

-What a onesie is. For the trip home from the hospital, Andrea had chosen a favorite onesie for Emmett to wear made by a student of Allie's. Unfortunately, I dressed him and didn't know a onesie from a t-shirt. For those who, like me, are not in the know, what makes a onesie special is that it has a long tuxedo-like tail in the back and a matching one in the front, each with snaps that allow it to wrap around the diaper (the reason one wants it to do this I have yet to learn). I learned what a onesie is by not utilizing these snaps and instead allowing the tuxedo tail in the back to insert itself into the diaper where Emmett's very green movements drastically altered the color of this favorite, white onesie. It is good to know that a day in the sun will do a good job of naturally bleaching a greened onesie back to white. Side question: are those shirts that seemed popular about 10 years ago for women that perform essentially the same function called onesies as well?

-Babies are often (always?) born with a hole that resides between the butt cheeks that is not the anus. During the first changing or two I actually thought this was the anus (it is located north of the anus) and only when I really lifted him up did I learn that there was a more important hole to clean. I ended up asking our pediatrician about this secondary hole on our day 5 doctor visit, and she informed me that it has to do with the termination of the spinal column and that it is only something doctors care about if the bottom can't be seen easily by the eye. You can see the bottom of Emmett's (I was going to post a picture, but thought better to keep the blog PG).

No comments: