Friday, April 18, 2008

Boys' Day

Yesterday Andrea had a doctor's appointment and a couple of things that she needed to attend to at her school, so I stayed at home to spend the day with Emmett. Lil' E and I hadn't spent much time at home without ma, so this was big times for us. Andrea was out the door at 8:15 and Emmett and I spent much of the morning hours working on a Wednesday NYTimes crossword (me: training for the Sunday which is just past a Thursday in difficulty) and napping lightly (him: training for growth spurts). Andrea was due back at 10, and when 10:30 rolled around it didn't look like she was going to make it (first day gone and she is already abandoning her child) so I heated up a little of the milk from the reserves Andrea has collected in the freezer. My method of reheating has consisted of putting the bag of milk in a tub of warm water to get the milk near body temperature, but Emmett's complaints hurried me to the point I just got the milk to melt. From this I found that Emmett doesn't mind cold milk and he didn't even act like anything much strange was taking place. After eating, Andrea showed up for her lunch and pumped some more as she was now out of sync with Emmett's appetite. Andrea left again for the doctor and back to school in the afternoon, so Emmett and I got even more bonding time which consisted of a long walk in the park and downing the bottles of new milk Andrea had prepared. It has been a little frustrating of late as I kind of messed my back up a little carrying Emmett around in my arms for literally miles at a time, so I haven't been using a carrier as much. Hopefully this turns around soon.

Yesterday evening the teacher taking over for Andrea for the remainder of the school year, Regan, came by with a huge, great meal. I don't know that I have mentioned it here before, but Allie set up a sign-up that has a meal showing up to our door every Monday and Thursday and it has really helped a lot---as well as allowing us to eat some great food. Anyway, Regan, stayed a little while and held Emmett, and Emmett smiled at her what seemed many, many times. Emmett has been smiling a lot, especially at Andrea, but I have to say that I was a little jealous of the fact that Emmett gave away so many smiles to someone he had just met while I don't get many at all. I have been trying to figure out why this is (ignoring possible reasons that are hurtful or require too much self-reflection), and have decided that it is because I need a haircut. Emmett stares at my hair every time I try to encourage a smile, so I am convinced that my hair troubles him in some way. This weekend I am going to nip that one in the bud, and I hope to report soon that I receive smiles at a rate near what new acquaintances are currently receiving.

2 comments:

Bushwick Hideaway said...

i think it's because you don't have breasts.

elvischrist said...

Iagree! my man breasts just don't do it for Juliana - she wants the real thing! And when she sees the real thing (a female) she smiles!