Friday, April 11, 2008

Sleeping all together again and a smile

Last night Andrea had the bright idea that we should all go back to sleeping in the bed together. For the last few weeks we have spent many nights with one of us on the futon or couch in physical contact with Emmett while the other slept soundly in bed, or A and I in bed with Emmett in the co-sleeper (bedside sleeper, no contact). For the former Emmett will get a lot of sleep, as will we, whereas the latter just doesn't seem to work so hot just yet. So, Andrea made a brilliant observation that we could apply the couch/futon method on the bed with all of us together (it is amazing that it took so long to think of this), and last night we gave it a shot with Emmett sleeping on my arm and Andrea unencumbered on the bed as well. Well, what do you know, it worked like a charm. We were all in bed around 10pm, Andrea stole him away at 3am for a quick feed, he returned a short while later and the next thing we knew it was sixish. Pretty amazing! I am actually pretty confident that he could have slept longer except (this is where it gets embarrassing) for the fact that sometime after Andrea brought him back to bed from his 3ish feeding he spit up. I wiped up his face in my dazed state and as I recall he did it again with me repeating the wipe (remember it is dark). Well, ends up there was quite a bit of mess that he and I were sleeping in (for the sake of full disclosure I will say that I actually knew this and thought that I could reposition us to avoid it---one makes very bad decisions when mostly asleep) and he was pretty wet come 6 o'clock which was probably a prime reason for the slight fussiness with which he woke us. If the CPA catches wind of us (me) letting him sleep in his own spit-up milk then we are probably going lose him to the courts. We (I) will be more vigilant in keeping him dry.

I got up and changed him out of his wet clothes (Emmett, if you ever read this I want you to know I am sorry it took so long), but he must not have been that unhappy with me because he gave me the first real, intentional smile that I have received from him. Andrea has had a few of these, but I have never seen one that didn't involve something taking place in the diaper, be it sound or waste. I was really surprised at how happy it made me that he smiled at me. I spent the next few minutes trying to convince him to do it again, but I think that the one given was serving as a thank you smile for getting him out of his wetness---if he doles them out too easily, things won't get done for him. Hopefully I will come up with something else to do soon for which he will pay me with another smile.

No comments: