Wednesday, May 28, 2008

What's up

I just wrote the post below about shots a little bit ago, got to feeling that I have been dwelling on that immunization stuff for too long, and thought I would add a little of what is going on with Emmett. Yesterday was the first day that Emmett went all day without pooping, and apparently when you don't poop on one day it doubles up on the next (says Andrea who got to deal with the cleanup as it was while I was at work). I had heard all kinds of stories about parents getting worried when their kid doesn't have a bowel movement for a day, but I don't think that either of us ever gave it much thought at all. Cleanup of his poop used to be no big deal, but it is definitely getting less fun as it is stinky and messy. I am trying to pick up on his cues that he is going to go so that I can run him to the bathroom, but the signals seem subtle at best and the events typically take place in the middle of the afternoon. I haven't given up on EC and am still getting him to pee a few times a day.

As I mentioned, yesterday we all went to the new parents/newborn class that Andrea and Emmett normally attend alone. The class is for 0-3 month-olds and is headed by a midwife/RN-in-training who we had for one of our pre-birth classes and who we really like a lot. The format is a bunch of people and their kids sitting around in a circle for an hour with each parent or set of parents introducing themselves and their little one and asking a question of the leader or the group. It was good to get to hear what others are going through, and it really made me feel like we have a pretty cooperative kid so far. We have a friend whose pediatrician appointments have at least a part which is a group meeting like this, and I think that this approach is extremely valuable as when Andrea and I see our pediatrician it seems like we can't remember all of the questions we have in the weeks between appointments (plus it gives parents a chance to look at other parents/kids and feel like things aren't so bad).

The other big event in the last day or so was Emmett had his first erection this afternoon...or at least first that either of us have spotted (Andrea saw it, I didn't...I was at work for this event, too, and I guess she didn't snap a picture---that would be good for his baby book). I think that this was a little unexpected and surprising for Andrea to come across. It is good to know that Emmett, unlike so many other male children, will get to know and celebrate the anniversary of this momentous event (sure, there were probably others hiding under diapers, but this first in-the-open one must count for something).

No comments: