Monday, July 7, 2008

Hanging with trump

We are here in the Big Apple, the city that never sleeps, and Emmett is sleeping. Andrea is off at her conference and I decided to update the blog while E saws some logs. We left home yesterday around 6:45am for the airport. The time of the flight was perfect in ways as emmett had just woken up and was in a good mood. We got to the airport (via Jeff who was nice enough to rise in the pre-dawn hours to haul us and our huge bags) and got checked in relatively easily. We had brought two big bags which I had packed the night before for our week's stay---one weighed in at 47.5 pounds and the other 49.5 with over 50 costing us 100 dollars...closer than I thought as I had weighed the heavy one with me the night before and it was supposed to be 47. Sadly, most of the stuff was Emmett's though I think that we could have cut down quite a bit, but we haven't had a long trip like this before so we are still amateurs.

Emmett fell asleep in the Ergo on Andrea about not long before the flight took off and then slept for about an hour missing the whole takeoff procedure and not having any ear issues. He woke up, was changed on the plane by me (not too bad except I had to pee, too, and that was tricky---mainly getting my pants buttoned again), and was playful and fun for about an hour with Andrea taking a shot at changing him in the plane potty, too (she got solids, I didn't...I was lucky). Somewhere in that time Andrea fed him and when he started to get squirmy I put him in the Ergo on me and he fell into a non-deep sleep where I had to continually swing and sway and rock in my seat to keep him settled. Eventually I got up and walked to the back of the plane where I was able to sway properly, and was probably out of the seat for an hour or so. Finally, I asked on of the crew members how long until we started our initial descent and she told me it would be soon, so I went back to my seat and Emmett gradually woke up from his 2.5-3 hour sleep on me. As we really started to descend we got him onto andrea for a feeding to make the descent easier. Ooops he is waking up...I will have to add to this later

No comments: