Monday, July 28, 2008

Mother knows best

We returned late last night from our trip to see grandparents in Susanville. Andrea, Belinda, Emmett, and I (B was going to see her sister and family who would be in town for her 20 year reunion) headed out on Thursday evening around 7:00 and Emmett passed out immediately. He slept pretty much the whole trip making it very painless. Pretty good kid, that Emmett.

The weekend was filled with garage sales, barbequing, Emmett's first trip to the Susanville bar "The T&A", etc., but mostly hanging with family. It was a nice visit but went by very quickly. Yesterday afternoon we headed home (sans belinda---she went to yosemite with family) around 4:00 and Emmett again slept most of the trip. We have both (Andrea and I) become very talented in our ability to climb over the passenger seat in the front-to-back or back-to-front direction at highway speeds to either address Emmett's needs or once again have adult conversation when he falls asleep.

Once at home last night Andrea put Emmett into his crib, which is still in our room, but while brushing my teeth I saw her checking out the co-sleeper which was in what is to be Emmett's room. Andrea then told me to grab Malcolm as she was going to move Emmett to his own room, and at 10:45 last night that is what she did. After completing the move, Andrea asked me how I felt about it and I told her that I was a little saddened because I like having him in the room with us, but she stayed strong and we went to sleep. And sleep we did. I woke up to the alarm and got mostly ready to go to work before I heard Emmett stir, and when I handed the happy baby off to Andrea just before leaving she told me that the one time she had gotten out of bed was to pee, not because of Emmett, meaning that he slept the whole night through (we woke another time as Malcolm crawled all over our faces excited at his first night of sleeping with both of us since Emmett was born). I guess this means that Emmett is a big boy now.

2 comments:

andipie said...

It is sad to have him out of our room...a little...

kathryn said...

Aw. Emmett turns *5* months very soon --!? He's sleeping in his own room, he'll eat real food soon...very exciting days for you. Since J turned 5 months, she's been growing & learning at such a rapid rate. I feel, sometimes, like I'm viewing a sped-up film of a flower blooming. Each new image of Emmett that you & Andrea post shows a new baby -- slightly different smile, deeper twinkle in his eyes, bigger in size -- Hoo-ray for it all...