Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Cute from far, but far from cute

We have a few pictures hanging on the fridge that show a oneish-month-old Emmett, and over dinner last night Andrea and I got to talking about how in the last couple of days we both had looked at those pictures on our own and though we had thought Emmett was a cute newborn at the time, he wasn't really. In fact, I would go so far as to say all newborns are pretty funny looking. Don't get me wrong...I don't think that he was ugly. I just think that Emmett looked like all newborns, which is wrinkly and old-man-ish. But it is pretty funny how at the time we thought that the pictures that now hang on the refrigerator were so cute. Parent-love-goggles are pretty strong, and now I have the fear that I am going to turn into one of those people that thinks that their kid is the best thing in the world as I have already failed the first test (I worked with someone who not only thought his kids were the best thing in the world, but would tell me they were the best thing in the world all of the time and it irked me to no end). So as a premptive move against turning into that guy, I am declaring that our kid was pretty funny looking. Now he is pretty cute, but he was definitely funny looking back then.

No comments: