Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Potty update

We have finished day three of the great potty practice period. Tuesday I had class and Emmett was in day care, so he went with diapers then. Today (Wednesday) Emmett and I were home. We stuck around the house all morning and Emmett was diaper free. He actually was peeing in his little potty rather than a cup, so that was a big step forward. I spent much of this morning sitting on the bathroom floor reading Emmett books as he tried to poop but had no luck. Around 10:00am or so I got a string of calls for someone that doesn't live here, and was pretty angry by the time the third or so call came and was arguing with the person on the phone. Emmett took off (I was in the living room) and then a couple of minutes later (I was still on the phone) he called to me. When I went to him in the bathroom I found that he had taken himself to his potty and gone poop all by himself. Pretty big day for the big boy.

I didn't mention this, but much of the driver for this whole bathroom thing was the fact that Emmett was given a pack of Thomas the Train underwear by one of Andrea's co-workers and he was dying to wear them. Thomas the Train saves the day again.

We spent a lot of today playing hide and seek while waiting for trips to the bathroom. Andrea has gotten Emmett hooked on hide and seek. He is actually pretty good about keeping his face hidden rather than peeking around to see where we are when we are looking for him. However, both Andrea and I search the room he is in by asking "is Emmett under the couch?", etc. while we look in these places, but Emmett has taken to answering each of these questions when we ask them from his hiding place---I guess he doesn't realize his voice gives away his location.

Emmett is learning things at a blistering pace. Today at lunch he was eating some crackers I made and held four up and noted (correctly) that they were in the shapes of a rectangle, square, triangle, and diamond, respectively. He has also gotten most of counting from one-to-ten down (Augie and Ethan are both counting to their teens at least so he is a little behind in this).

Oh, and the singing continues. Andrea was surprised to hear Emmett singing along to "Yellow Submarine" by the Beatles yesterday when it came on the stereo, but that is one of the many songs we sing on our bike ride to school each day.

No comments: