Thursday, March 17, 2011

Reasoning with a three-year-old

Still busy these days, but here is another attempt to get something up here.

Today we went to the doctor for a check-up. Everything was fine, and one the way home I was talking to Emmett. He has taken to saying "what?" loudly after anything I say, telling me he can't hear me (he tells Andrea the same thing). So, on the ride home I asked him why he says "what?" everytime I talk to him---I asked if it was because he can't hear me, or he isn't paying attention, or something similar. Immediately he answered (as if the answer was crystal clear and I just hadn't thought of it), "it is because I have smaller ears. When I get older I will have bigger ears and will be able to hear you better."

Discussions with Emmett these days are beyond nonsensical. On the bike ride home he will often ask me what street we were on. We were on 20th Avenue. I told him this. He said, "no, it's not. It is 5th avenue." How do you argue with that?

Emmett started swim class on Tuesday. He held up pretty well, but got sad as he didn't know where I was the last 5 minutes of class as they force us to sit on the opposite side of the pool. On the way home I asked him if he liked it and he said yes, so hopefully next week we make it the entire class. Emmett is doing this as he wants nothing more than to learn to be a diver.

I don't think I wrote this before (not likely as I haven't posted in forever), but Emmett has been riding a two-wheeled pedal bike with no training wheels for weeks now. The Skuut bike Darin got him is pretty amazing as he really has balance down.

Tonight Emmett gave guitar and harmonica together a try. Just think, this is how Bob Dylan started with the same sort of hiccups. (sorry for the sideways video...I am too lazy to rotate it)

No comments: