Thursday, August 28, 2008

The good life

I don't know that I have mentioned it before here, but I really feel that we are really fortunate to have things going the way they are right now. Although Emmett will probably not know the difference, it will at least have meant quite a lot to Andrea and I that we got to spend so much of Emmett's first year-plus with at least one of us around him full-time. To get this to work out in San Francisco without going into deep debt definitely means that things are going our way.

Today Emmett and I spent a lot of time on the bus. This morning we headed over for our second week at the Mission library branch's bilingual sing-a-long and good-time jamboree (I should really find out what it is called). As I said before, the person that leads this is top-notch and very entertaining. It is a bit ahead of Emmett's level, but it is fun for me. He didn't complain during the show and got to look at lots of other kids, so that part was good. Oh, and he got to hear me whisper-sing in his ear...and that is a real treat.

In the afternoon I decided that we would head in the opposite direction from our normal travels and we went to Baker Beach. Looking back on Andrea's and my first four years of living here, I bet you that I have been to the ocean somewhere around 10 times. Often I forget that we are even connected to the ocean (60 degree weather doesn't inspire the beach for some reason). I had never been to Baker Beach and was actually impressed with how pretty it was and how easy it was to get there (one transfer and the second leg was very fast). It was kind of funny that we went all that way and Emmett was wide awake on the bus checking everything out, and then as soon as we got to the ocean he passed out. I think that part of the reason is that the ocean is too similar to his noise machine so it just puts him right to sleep---hopefully this isn't a permanent condition else we have eliminated surfing, deep sea fishing, and romantic walks along the beach from his future. So while he slept I walked the length of Baker Beach, climbed back up to the road, and then walked to the Golden Gate Bridge. It is just so amazing that there is such a pretty, development-free area that is part of the city. Again we are fortunate.

The bus trip home wasn't that exciting except that I changed his diaper in the grass and didn't have the cover on or anything when the bus pulled up. I didn't want to miss the bus, so I took the cloth-only diapered Emmett aboard a packed bus (luckily someone gave me a seat) and finally got his cover on while we were driving along. Oh, the other exciting thing is that the bus that picked us up from the GGBridge was completely empty so E&I got to have the bus to ourselves for a good 15 minutes. That was a first, too.

Tonight was our first official date night. Belinda and Nick have kindly offered to hang out here and keep an eye on E so that Andrea and I can go out and have a romantic evening together. Tonight we had the take-out that Nick ordered and watched Barack Obama give his nomination acceptance speech with B&N. After it was all done we were pretty pooped but we rallied and walked two blocks down the street for a glass of wine and a small dessert. When we finished our wine it was 9:20, we were exausted, and we just decided to come home. Andrea is already asleep and now I am off to join her. Next week we will save our energy for a full date night that might even have us out until 10!

1 comment:

jonathan said...

I've had to go into deep debt just to have the luxury of taking care of myself full-time. Well done you.