Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Two side things

When we were at Clear Lake we had a dock that extended from quite a distance into the lake and which was about 15 feet above the surface of the water. In the mornings I would take Emmett out on the dock and lean him over (a la Michael Jackson) to show him the ducks and geese swimming below and it got me wondering when he will develop a fear or caution or "funny feeling in his stomach" about heights. It seemed like he didn't care at all being held so high up (nor did MJ's kid...just the press cared it seemed), so there must be a time when the change happens and I wonder whether it develops because of a fall, because his parents will continually warn him, or if there is some change that happens in his mind where he understands spatial relationships, the effects of gravity, and the ramifications of forgetting about gravity while standing on precipices?

Yawns: Emmett yawns quite a bit and has since day one (he has also sneezed quite a bit since day one---I think I posted about this once, but part of the reason is the lack of developed nose hair---Emmett always at least smiles and sometimes laughs when I say "gesundheit" to him when he sneezes, and his sneezes are most often paired---wonderful, little-known Emmett factoids here), and it is a well-known phenomenon that yawns are contagious. As an experiment I have dedicated a little time every few days to trying to get Emmett to yawn based on my yawning...still to no avail. I was reading a .edu website about yawns for kids that was saying that contagious yawning is leftover evolutionary social behavior, but if this is the case then either Emmett isn't paying attention to catch the signals or it has a learned component too, which seems to detract from the evolution idea...or hanging out with me all day is just too darn exciting to allow yawns?

No comments: