Saturday, August 23, 2008

Where my Saturday went

Going into today I knew that today the kayak was going to make its way from the floor of our garage to the ceiling of our garage, and I have been dreading it. Last night I spent a long time making scaled drawings as the landlord and I had come up with a plan that involved galvanized pipe, 2x6's and a ton of other things. I made scaled top view and side view plans with a scaled kayak that could be slid around into the best position, and then at 10 this morning I went upstairs and we discussed. It looked like the plan would work, so I was going to go pick up 2x6's to start phase one. However, about 20 minutes later the landlord came to the door telling me that after all of our planning, his 12 year-old daughter walked downstairs and declared that we were going to too much trouble and why don't we just use eye-bolts and call it good. She was right. We were not. We went with her plan (well, she proposed four eye-bolts and I one-upped her by cutting it down to two---you can't have a 12 year-old besting you). So...I spent the whole day in hardware stores, REI, and everywhere else it seemed (unfortunately everywhere except with Emmett and Andrea, that is), and at 6:30 Andrea and I, under Emmett's watchful eyes seated in a stroller, raised the kayak to the ceiling. I wish I would have had the camera while we were doing the lifting as Emmett had a look on his face like we were the two wackiest people in the world. Anyway, this is what our half of the garage is now looking like:
We now officially have a lot of things in our garage. For the past week while the kayak was residing on the garage floor the car was in the street and it made me realize how wonderful it would be to have no car in the garage with all kinds of space for strollers and boats and everything else. Oh well. We still have a car.

Very little Emmett time today, but Andrea is going back-to-school shopping tomorrow (she needs a new Trapper Keeper, I think) so he and I will get to make up for lost time. Oh, Andrea fed Emmett rice cereal today, so with that addition he has had three foods that didn't come from Andrea's body. She apparently made the rice cereal with breast milk. She also put breast milk in my oatmeal the other morning and wouldn't tell me why she was laughing at breakfast until after I was done eating. She thinks she is so funny.

No comments: