Saturday, September 27, 2008

Food

It is funny that for so long it felt like all we were fixated on with Emmett was sleep and poo. Things have really changed, though, with the introduction of food, although sleep and poo aren't far behind.

I really do not understand how food works with this kid. I have been making a bunch of different foodstuffs for Emmett to eat, but in the end he will really only eat banana. Well, banana mixed with other things, too, but it has to have banana in it. Banana was E's first food (Clear Lake) and since that time it has been the primary mixer with the box of rice cereal we bought. Now I have taken to making our own grains (today's was millet), but he would only eat a little of it when it was mixed with banana squash but ate like mad when it was with banana. Tonight Andrea did a banana with yogurt and that was a hit. The only way that we can get him to eat anything else, it seems, it to sneak it in with the banana---so today he got a mixture of banana squash, banana, and millet and as long as the percentage of banana was kept in the still-tastes-somewhat-like-banana level, then he would eat it just fine. I fear that we are raising a monkey.

I am actually a little surprised at how frustrated I get at mealtime, especially when he doesn't eat. I don't know what to do to encourage him to eat non-banana foods except to keep trying, I guess. It just seems like there are so many other good foods in this world and I wish he wasn't so hung up on bananas.

Things have been moving along just fine other than the food thing (much of the reason for no writing here as there is nothing much of interest happening). Emmett has started doing this thing that his cousin did where he makes a sort of angry face and breathes outward through his nose like a bull. It is kind of funny and I really wonder why he decided to start doing this as it is not a typical face that A or I make. I will have to try to get a video of it. The other thing is that he has really gotten interested in his own reflection and will stare at himself for long periods in the mirror of that plastic monstrosity the he plays in.

Nothing much other than that. I turned in my first ever letter of resignation yesterday, so that is big non-Emmett news, and I start my teaching gig at the end of next month. Slight changes, but nothing too dramatic. I will have to report here when something truly exciting comes along.

1 comment:

Angela and Scott said...

It is bizarre how similar Tyler and Emmett are. I had the same problem with Tyler. Then he would eat anything I would give him. Now, he is so difficult. But, he still loves his banana's!