Thursday, October 2, 2008

New developments (not really that exciting)

Emmett just woke from his nap---his first where he rolled over to his stomach after being put in bed on his back. Pretty exciting stuff. He slept for a pretty long time (~1.5 hours), so maybe the new freedoms will turn him into an even better sleeper. I also walked in to find Malcolm napping on the changing table at the same time. I think this is the first nap that the two of them have taken together, and though I wasn't happy to find him in there, I was glad to see that he was on the changing table and not curled up in the crib with E.

I am still fighting the banana war. Last night I made millet and carrot for dinner and he wasn't having any of it. I added banana to a level that the banana was the noticeable flavor and suddenly he ate it all up. It is very, very rare now that he will eat anything non-banana related and I don't really know what to do to turn this trend around. I think I mentioned this last post, but the fact it gets second mention means it is the only thing on my mind. The seven month mark brings in a bunch of new foods, so maybe there will be something that will get his attention away from the banana.

Jeff came over yesterday to take care of Emmett while I made a run to Hayward to visit the college where I will be teaching at the end of the month. Emmett had pooed twice before I left, so I thought Jeff would have smooth sailing, but E had different ideas with two more treasures during my absence. I was a little curious how Emmett would do with naps and such with Jeff, but he seemed to have performed well.

Last night Emmett and I went for a walk before bed into the panhandle. We went to the swing (likes it, doesn't love it) and then went to check out some skateboarders doing tricks on a rail they had brought into the park. We were watching and Emmett was interested but not really reacting much until a guy went pretty fast, lost control, and wrecked. Emmett started laughing like it was the funniest thing he had ever seen. I have not seen Emmett respond with laughter to any person who was not trying to make him laugh, so I was really surprised. For a while he continued to laugh primarily when skaters would make mistakes and fall (I think the jerky, sudden motion is something he hasn't really seen before) to the point that I was wondering if I should take him away so as to not make the skaters angry, but eventually he started to laugh at every trick whether a success or not.

That is it for the new things, I believe. E and I are off to the store after he finishes his feeding (I am writing this at Andrea's work after delivering him to her for a little food-time).

No comments: