Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Born under Bush

Emmett and I got up this morning and headed down to Civic Center where we watched our new president take the oath of office. We met up with Augie and his parents who were also there along with what I would guess was a few thousand people watching it on the big screen right in front of City Hall (Andrea was at school so she had to miss out---well, the school watched the inauguration together so she just missed out on us). I didn't take any pictures (the pictures would have looked like us standing among a bunch of other people so I leave it to the readers' imaginations), but I must say that every time I think of the inauguration I get very happy. I know the word has been overused a ton of late, but I am truly hopeful for our future now---and this means much more when you have brought another life into the world that your generation and the ones before it have so seriously altered. The last eight years have felt like a nightmare politically with things that I really care about (the environment, science, etc.) being ignored or essentially raped in addition the needless wars, broken relationships with other nations, diminished freedoms, etc. for which our departing leader is famous. For me personally this has been a learning experience as I have never quite understood the outpouring of emotion that came when JFK died as, prior to today, the president has not been someone I have felt inspired by or that has seemed motivated to make a difference in our lives. This election, culminating in today's inauguration, has opened my eyes to a different kind of president than I have known and I now feel that I can empathize with those who found similar inspiration 40-some years ago and better understand why they took their loss so hard. I would somehow like to impress upon Emmett as he grows older the idea that a leader can be so much more than what we often end up with, but wonder if he, like me, will only appreciate it if he lives it. Actually, I just remembered my grandfather mentioning to me that his father always seemed so enamored of FDR and (as I recall) he didn't quite get it or didn't have the same appreciation being young during most of his presidency---perhaps he was trying to tell me the same thing I am hoping to tell Emmett. I get it now.

The inauguration was our big event. The only other excitement that I can think of was Emmett's and my bike ride to near the museums in the park where I found a relatively secluded clump of grass and stripped Emmett naked so he could get some sun and air out. I wondered if I would get in trouble or if people would frown on us if I had a naked kid in a public park, but luckily no one came around. Part of the reason for the nakedness is that Emmett is getting a few splotches on his skin and we don't know what they are so I figured the sun would take care of them. We will see as we are probably going to take Emmett in to the doctor at the end of the week (I made the appointment but if the sun cured them we will cancel).

1 comment:

Bushwick Hideaway said...

I've been thinking the same thing about the president a lot today. I get excited about visiting the White House website, look forward to Obama's weekly presidential addresses, and plan on reading his memoir. I can't believe I actually LIKE the guy in charge. It's such a great feeling!!