Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Greens for the little one

I don't think that I have ever really discussed it here, but I really like making Emmett's food and he seems to like eating it. Earlier this evening I returned from Rainbow with what felt like a ton of food and decided to just take care of making some of Emmett's food while I was feeling active. The normal game has been: buy a bunch of one thing (banana squash, say), steam it, food-process it, and freeze it in cubes, then repeat the process another night with the next food. Of late I have gotten tired of all of the dishes I have had to wash so I decided to get smart and just started up the steamer pot, would steam one type of food, cool it in the strainer, and follow the steps above but while cooling would use the already-warm steamer pot to do the next type. I am telling you that this felt like a real stroke of genius (in addition I had made some stock that I had frozen in the ice cube trays earlier so I just rinsed them and added the new stuffs---I may never wash another dish). The picture at left shows the foods that got done tonight: red chard (upper right), kale (lower right), and broccoli/carrot mash-up (left, top and bottom)...and the best part is I didn't clean out the food processor between any of the batches (as evidenced by the broccoli/carrot that snuck into the chard in the upper right-hand corner). It is pretty incredible that making this food is this easy, that it actually tastes good to me, and that it is soooooo cheap (all organic produce and probably 6 dollars spent for food that will last for weeks----there is more in the fridge as I only have two metal ice cube trays).

No comments: