Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Oink oink

Emmett woke up this morning with a slight fever (99ish) and was a little whiny. I went to the lab for the morning and when I got back things had gotten a bit worse. He was ultra-clingy to me and was only happy if I was sitting down and he was in my lap. I knew he wasn't feeling too well and could tell he was warm, so tried combinations of taking him outside, stripping him down, etc. to cool him down and to keep his mind off of his not feeling well. Finally it reached the point where he was taking very short, quick breaths and looked really out of it, so I took his temperature again and found it was 104.1. I felt like the worst parent for letting it progress to this point, but quickly called the doctor to check if there was anything I should be doing besides giving him tylenol. I gave him the tylenol and it took about 10 minutes for things to improve, but suddenly he was happy and moving around much better. Magical pharmaceuticals! The doctor finally called back and upon hearing the symptoms thought there might be a chance it is swine flu (or H1N1 for those that want to make sure the pork industry doesn't take a hit from this one). It is horrible timing as Emmett and I were going to take a road trip tomorrow up to Oregon to see family, but now we are in a holding pattern to see if he is on the road to recovery. It is very sad to see him so ill, but there is part of me that likes it as it is the only time he will really sit still in our arms. I do hope he is better tomorrow, though. Andrea is going to stay home with him while I go teach. Hopefully she is a more nurturing and attentive parent than I was today.

No comments: